A cosmetic dentist might opt for tooth-colored fillings over metal fillings as a way to fix cavities. A cavity is a small hole on a tooth's surface which is created by oral bacteria eating away at tooth structures. Silver amalgam fillings have been the traditional way to fix cavities, but composite resin fillings have become the new norm. Composite resin fillings can be color-matched with the patient's teeth, hiding the fact that the tooth has been restored.
Why a cosmetic dentist might recommend tooth-colored fillings
Tooth-colored fillings are typically made out of composite resin, but they can also be made out of porcelain and used as an onlay or inlay. Some of the benefits that come with choosing silver-colored fillings over traditional metal fillings include:
- Improved self-esteem: The appearance of a person's smile is one of the most important parts of their appearance and tooth-colored fillings restore the healthy appearance of teeth. It allows the patient to smile confidently knowing others cannot tell they have had work done on their teeth. People who are happy with the appearance of their smiles tend to be more confident than those who feel that their smiles are not attractive
- Can replace metal fillings: Patients who already have metal fillings can have them replaced with tooth-colored ones. The procedure improves the aesthetics of the person's teeth and protects them from mercury, a toxic substance that is found in traditional metal fillings
- Looks great: Tooth-colored fillings blend in and make teeth appear as if they have never had cavities. Metal fillings can be easily spotted whenever people with them open their mouths
- Gentler on teeth: Metal fillings tend to contract and expand as temperatures in the mouth change. This puts a lot of pressure on teeth that have this filling and it can lead to the tooth becoming fractured or breaking. Tooth-colored fillings do not contract or expand, making them the gentler option for your teeth
- Restores tooth function: Tooth-colored fillings go past improving the aesthetics of a damaged tooth. They also restore the function and strength of the treated tooth
- Maintains its original color: Metal fillings can slowly change the color of teeth to a grayish color. Tooth-colored fillings do not change the color of the teeth that are treated with them
- Long-lasting: Tooth-colored fillings that are made out of porcelain can last up to 15 years with good oral hygiene
- Preserves the treated tooth: Applying a tooth-colored filling to a tooth requires the removal of less enamel than when using metal fillings. This helps to preserve the tooth's strength
Restore the appearance of your smile with the help of a cosmetic dentist
Tooth-colored fillings are far from being the only way to restore the appearance of your smile. Oral restorations like crowns can also be used to enhance the appearance of damaged teeth. Call or visit our Pompano Beach clinic to learn more about how tooth-colored fillings and other dental restorations can be used to improve your smile.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Cosmetic Dentist in Pompano Beach, FL.
While there are some new and wonderful ways to correct your teeth after they begin to erode, there are also several ways to prevent dental erosion from happening in the first place. There are several …
A dental restoration can transform a patient's smile. If you often find yourself worrying about your noticeable dental problems, there is no need to feel alone. Many people deal with structural damage to their teeth …
If your tooth is knocked out, you will be in disbelief. Even a tooth that falls out on its own will likely cause you to panic. Your thoughts will undoubtedly turn to whether it is …
Nowadays, there are many options for people looking to transform their smiles with a smile makeover. It is normal for people to want to know about the procedure. Before you visit the general dentist, this …